Solutions for Parents & Carers
We offer a number of workshops designed to help parents and carers raise happy, resilient children.
- 1-2-3 Magic® and Emotion Coaching
- Parent & Carer Coaching
- Tuning into Teens T.I.N.T
- No Scardy Cats
1-2-3 Magic® and Emotion Coaching
Duration: 6 hours: 3 x 2 hour sessions
Overview: This coaching program for parents & carers teaches you how to use less emotion and less talk to effectively manage difficult behaviour in children aged 2-12 years. It can be provided as a one-on-one counselling sessions for you, the parent/carer, in three two hour sessions. Or, ask a few friends to co-share the sessions and create an instant support system and learn together.
Included topics in the 1-2-3 Magic® and Emotion Coaching course:
- resolving conflict in the family quietly
- engaging cooperation so they start doing more of what you want and stop doing what you don’t want
- building your child’s tolerance for frustration (i.e. when something doesn’t go his or her way)
- growing your relationship and bond with your children
- creating independence in your child
Bringing Up Great Kids (B.U.G.K)
Duration: 18 hours: 6 x 3 hour sessions
Overview: Bringing Up Great Kids is a suite of parenting programs that can be beneficial with a range of parents and carers of children at different ages. All of the programs and accompanying resources are underpinned by a philosophy of promoting and supporting respectful, caring and nurturing relationships between parents and their children. Parents and carers are encouraged to become more reflective and mindful in their parenting approach. Each of the programs are divided into modules which can be run in an adaptable format over a number of weeks depending on the needs of the parents/carers who participate. It can be run individually with parents or in a group format.
The Bringing Up Great Kids’ programs and resources support parents and carers to:
- learn more about the origins of their own parenting style and how it can be more effective;
- identify the important messages they want to convey to their children and how to achieve this;
- learn more about brain development in children and its influence on their thoughts, feelings and behaviour;
- understand the meaning of children’s behaviour;
- discover how to overcome some of the obstacles getting in the way of them being the kind of parent they would like to be; and
- discover ways for parents to take care of themselves and to find support when they need it.
The Bringing Up Great Kids suite includes the following specifically designed programs:
- Bringing Up Great Kids
- Bringing Up Great Kids for Early Years
Tuning in to Kids™ (T.I.K)
Duration: 18 hours: 6 x 3 hour sessions
Overview: Tuning in to Kids™ is a parenting program that helps children learn to understand and regulate their emotions. Previous research has found that parenting styles can influence a child’s emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is the ability to understand and control your emotions, as well as being able to communicate to others about how you feel. Children with good emotional intelligence often have better emotional, social, and physical functioning, as well as fewer behavioural difficulties.
Tuning in to Kids™ is a parenting program that aims to give you helpful ways of teaching your child the skills of emotional intelligence. The program teaches you about how you, as a parent, can help your child develop good emotional skills. It teaches parents:
- awareness and regulation of their own emotions
- awareness of their children’s emotions
- to use children’s emotional experiences as an opportunity for closeness and teaching
- skills in assisting children to verbally label and manage their emotions
- skills in assisting children in problem solving
- to guide children’s behaviour with appropriate limits
Tuning in to Kids™ involves watching video material, group discussions and exercises, role plays, reading information, and home activities where you try out different ways of responding to your child’s emotions. Parents are encouraged to share experiences and ideas within the group and group leaders may use these as examples to explain and teach the skills of emotion coaching. It can be provided as a one-on-one counselling sessions for you, the parent/carer, in six two hour sessions. Or, ask a few friends to co-share the sessions and create an instant support system and learn together.
Parent & Carer Coaching
Duration: 3.5 hour sessions
- Solutions for caring for Toddlers
- Solutions for caring for Children
- Solutions to discover Your Childs Love Language
- Solutions to address Boundary Setting with Children
- Solutions to address Sibling Conflict
- Solutions for Building Resilience in Children
- Solutions to address Anxiety in Children
- Solutions to address Boundary Setting with Adolescents
- Solutions for living with Adolescents
- Solutions for living with Adolescent Males
- Solutions for living with Adolescent Females
- Solutions to Build Resilience in Adolescents
- Solutions for caring for an Adolescent with Anxiety or Depression
- Solutions for caring for an Adolescent that Self Injures
- Solutions for Grandparents Who are Carers
These sessions can be provided as a one-on-one counselling sessions for you, the parent/carer, in two 1.5 hour sessions. Or, ask a few friends to co-share the sessions and create an instant support system and learn together.
Tuning into Teens
Duration: 6 x 2hr sessions
Would you like to learn how to…
- be better at talking with your teen?
- be better at understanding your teen?
- help your teen learn to manage their emotions?
- help to prevent behaviour problems in your teen?
- teach your teen to deal with conflict?
Tuning in to Teens™ is for parents and carers of teens aged 12-18 yrs. and shows you how to help your teen develop emotional intelligence. Adolescents with higher emotional intelligence:
- are more aware, assertive and strong in situations of peer pressure
- have greater success with making friends and are more able to manage conflict with peers
- are more able to cope when upset or angry
- have fewer mental health and substance abuse difficulties
- have more stable and satisfying relationships as adults
Tuning in to Teens™ involves watching video material, group discussions and exercises, role plays, reading information, and home activities where you try out different ways of responding to your teen’s emotions. Parents are encouraged to share experiences and ideas within the group and facilitators may use these as examples to explain and teach the skills of emotion coaching. It can be provided as a one to one coaching session for you, the parent/carer, in 6 x 2-hour sessions. Or, ask a few friends to co-share the sessions and create an instant support system and learn together.
No Scaredy Cats
Duration: 3 x 2hr sessions
This course is all about supporting parents to reduce anxiety & build resilience skills in their child (2-12-year-olds). The course is based upon the evidence of the practical measures parents can take to develop resilience thinking skills in children. The course aims to:
- Assist parents to manage children’s worries.
- Provide awareness of some misguided policies are making parents and children more anxious.
- Offer information on the brain, including how the pre-frontal middle cortex and the amygdala operate, and where fear and anxiety originates.
- Explore commonly misused phrases and cognitive distortions used by children and their peers.
- Offer a helicopter view of what risks we can allow and which require us to keep children safe.
- Discover the traps and trip wires’: what to do when a child’s amygdala starts to play-up.
- Address memorable strengthening sayings, questioning strategies and mindfulness exercises.
It can be provided as a one to one coaching session for you, the parent/carer, in 6 x 2-hour sessions. Or, ask a few friends to co-share the sessions and create an instant support system and learn together.